At The Wool Merchant we pride ourselves on stocking high quality natural fibres and we strive to avoid synthetic products whenever possible. Through our shop we aim to support local, traditional and artisan producers whilst at the same time stocking a wide range of international designer ranges. Please see below for further information on the yarns we stock.
- Rowan A beautiful range of luxury hand knitting yarns in premium fibres, such as silk, mohair, merino, and alpaca. We stock most of the range.
- Debbie Bliss We stock around half of Debbie's range of 23 yarns. Her yarn's are classic and timeless, and use high quality natural fibres from crisp cottons to sophisticated silks and have good pattern support.
- Louisa Harding Louisa is one of the truly inspirational hand knitting yarn designers in the world and the U.K.'s fastest growing brand. The range includes Ribbons, silks and beads.
- Noro All the way from Japan...the secret traditional manufacturing processes employed by Noro are unique and have no equal. The colours have to be seen to be believed.
- Araucania We stock Lonco multi and Ranco yarns from this dedicated group of artisan designers and dyers from Chile, inspired shades excellent for socks and oh! so much more.
- Artesano Beautiful soft Alpaca yarns in 4ply and Aran from these ethical suppliers.
- Manos del Uruguay The secret of Manos lies in their patient kettle dye processes, which produce their trademark colours, we stock 'Wool Classica', 'Silk Blend', and 'Serena'. These are fair trade yarns from a women's cooperative in Uruguay.
- Regia An exciting range of sock yarns in 4ply and D.K. we stock plain colours and multi coloured as well as self-patterning yarns. All the sock yarns in this range have a low proportion of synthetic fibre content for strength and durability.
- Millamia A small up and coming range from these two sisters, we have 15 of the 17 inspired colours they produce. The yarn is between a 4ply and D.K. and is pure Merino with wonderful stitch definition. An exciting range of patterns for children and babies will soon be joined by an adult range.
- Wendy Our supplier for the ever useful and popular dish cloth cotton. We only stock one shade natural unbleached.
- Blacker Yarns Straight from the Natural Fibre Company's specialist Wool Mill in Launceston, Cornwall, helping local farmers to add value to their fleece.
- John Arbon Supply us with their Excelana 4ply yarn in a range of vintage shades produced in collaboration with designer Sue Crawford. Excelana is made from local Exmoor sheep, a cross of Exmoor horn and BlueFaced Leicester.
- Dodie Huxter Our closest producer of Shetland yarn from Crediton
- Jamiesons Direct from this long established family business this is 'The Shetland' yarn famed for it's delicate palette for knitting traditional Fair Isle. We stock Spindrift (4 ply) and double knit.
- Killcara/Donegal The genuine Donegal tweed from Ireland, there are many copies, some which we stock also but if it is the original you are looking for this is it.
Luxury and artisan products
- Jade Sapphire A true tactile luxury, this is Mongolian Cashmere, the finest cashmere in the world, feel it to believe it!!
- Lanamania Luxury Possum yarn from New Zealand is hollow which makes it light soft and warmer than cashmere.
- Jilly Bean A range of beautiful hand-painted 100% British fair-trade yarns.
- The Natural Dye Studio Blends of Alpaca, silk and cashmere, dyed with historic natural plant dyes. 2, 3 and 4 ply lace yarns. These are so soft and are now produced in North Devon.